Saturday, December 20, 2008

Sewing Baby Booties

I crochet well and I can knit to a degree, but I am too lazy.

Not to say I don't take tremendous time designing my patterns for making baby booties. It is just that when I sit down to make something, I want to see the results quickly.

For me, sewing is so much faster than crocheting and way faster than knitting. I can whip up a pair of booties in literally, minutes. Wha La, Done.

I am really good with a sewing machine and scissors. I can take them where they may have never tread before, especially scissors. (But that is another subject)

I started sewing when I was 5, thus it has been a long affair and I am still in love.

It was at age 10 or 11 that I learned to knit, crochet and cross stitch. I still do them, but I have spent the least amount of time knitting. I have to relearn to knit each time I decide I want to knit something. Too much time, taken away from sewing. A change is good, right?

I need change to keep from getting bored, even when sewing. To illustrate this point, we'll take the "Way-back machine" to 1982 when I worked for JC Penney in their Tailoring department in Harrisburg PA, doing alterations.

Each day we had a pile of mens pants to hem, take in or let out and press. We'd sort them by color so we didn't have to change the thread on the sewing machine so often. Just to break the tedium of the job, I'd psyche myself by getting excited about changing the thread to a new color.

Other things we did to break the monotony was to add little pictures to the calendar that hung above the machines. Our "boss" Gus Catalano, loved sail boats and the calendars were usually that theme. We'd add boats, birds, people, trees, etc and then we'd try to spot the new items without feeling the page. He was so much fun and I learned a lot from him. (I could do a whole blog on him and maybe I will)

The moral of this story is; My bootie patterns are fun and easy to make and...faster than crocheting or knitting. (At least for me) LOL

Patterns and fabric are available HERE and HERE 
******

9 comments:

  1. I love you patterns... I wish you had one for free on here to try out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i look up to u for teaching others. i think u should give more detail and step by step instructions. i look forward to reading some more of your posts
    THANK YOU

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Anonymous,

    On the top left-hand side of the page are the links to the "Step by Step" Instructions (Pictorial Tutorials).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Carolyn:

    Did you know Gus passed away on Oct 13, 2012? Here's the info about the service:

    Augustus "Gus" Anthony Catalano Jr., 76, a loving husband, father, grandfather, brother, brother-in-law, uncle and friend, entered into eternal rest after a long illness, October 13, 2012 surrounded by his loving family at the home of his daughter Lisa.
    He was born November 22, 1935 to the late Lena (Gianforti) and Augustus Catalano. He was preceded in death by his brothers, Nofe and Joseph and a sister Josephine.
    He is survived by his wife of 56 years, Anna Marie (Lanza) Catalano; his daughters, Anna Marie (Daniel) Kambic, Deborah (Allan) Catalano Clionsky, and Lisa (Rex) Herbert; granddaughters, Danielle Kambic and Kelsey Karpinski; grandson, Michael Kambic; brother, Bartholomew Catalano; sister, Mary Bitner; several nieces and nephews; his beloved dog, Tabby; and a heartfelt thanks to his caregiver, Claudine.
    Gus retired from J.C. Penney as a tailor for 30 years, a trade he learned from his father. After graduation from John Harris High School, Gus served as a proud American in the U.S. Army during the Korean War. During his service, he was awarded the distinguished honor of being appointed to the Honor Guard and marched the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier.
    He was a member of St. Margaret Mary Alacoque Catholic Church, Harrisburg.
    He loved spending time with his family, playing cards, singing, dancing, and Notre Dame Football. He loved life, and was dearly loved by all and will be missed by all.
    Mass of Christian Burial will be celebrated 11:00 AM Saturday, October 10, 2012 in St. Margaret Mary Catholic Church, 2800 Paxton Church Rd., Harrisburg. A visitation will be held from 10:00 AM Saturday to time of Service at his church.
    In lieu of flowers, memorial contributions may be made to his church, 2800 Paxton Church Rd., Harrisburg, PA 17110

    Take care,

    Joni Macchioni Rockhill

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Joni, for letting me know. I loved that man! It was such a blast to learn from him and work with him. He treated me like family and loved my kids too. He will be missed.

      Carolyn

      Delete
  5. Gus was my great uncle. Awesome story. thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is awesome! I really loved that man. He was like a second father. My kids (the 4 that knew him) still talk about him with great fondness. I was privileged to get to know some of his family as they came to see in the Shop. Fantastic people. Great man.

      Delete
  6. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete